So he proposed, you said yes, and now you are engaged! It can be one of the happiest times in your life as well as one of the most stressful, as thoughts of wedding planning immediately come to mind. Below are some tips to help you relax and enjoy your engagement.
- First, decide how long your engagement will be. Try and narrow down the field for a date. The decision can be based on many factors: financial situation, jobs, and personal taste. The good news is the engagement can be as long or as short as you want.
- It is wise to choose an engagement length based on the type of wedding you want to have. If you are thinking of having a large wedding with lots of guests, the longer engagement is the way to go. The longer you have to plan a big event, the easier it will be on you and your fiancé.
- Use your engagement as a way to get closer to your fiancé. Enjoy planning the wedding together and learning more about each other’s likes and dislikes. The time together will strengthen your bond, and thus, your marriage.
- Always consider your budget and start by counting the larger ticket items such as the wedding gown, venue, food, and drink. Don’t let the budget stress you out… talk it out and simply be practical.
- Don’t let anyone tell you how long your engagement is supposed to be. Even if family members or friends pressure you to rush the wedding or to take your time, don’t listen. The decision is between you and your fiancé only.
- Keep in mind that engagement lengths can be based on cultural standards. For example, in some cultures, short engagements are typical. If your cultural beliefs are important to you, do some digging and find out the appropriate wait length.
- For couples that are involved in the military, timing is everything. If one or both of you are going to be leaving for duty soon, a short engagement will be necessary so that you may have the ceremony before deployment.
Is there a certain venue you have your eye on? Possibly a special caterer or photographer? If you want a specific place, person, or service, your engagement may need to be extended at bit. Some of the things you desire are likely to have a waiting list, especially if they are popular in your area.